Question

Photo of Mike Sipps

IPAD issue - Stopped printing from check in app

Using IOS 14.3, it seems that the rock app lost permissions to the local network to wirelessly print.  Settings - Privacy - local network.  I cannot find any way to add it back.  I have reset the ipad and did several reinstalls of the app and the zebra printing software.  This setup used to work fine but now the Rock check-in is not there under the local network settings.  The zebra software is, I can do a local test page but the rock app errors out.  Any ideas?

Frustrating

mike

• Photo of Douglas Felde

I'm having the same issues on iOS 14.3 with all of our iPads 

* We use ZQ510's and ZD420's connected to iPads via Bluetooth

* Can print test labels successfully using the Zebra utilities app on iPad

* Our Zebras no longer print anything from the Rock Checkin app

* I see the same missing permissions issue as Mike Sipps in Settings/Privacy/Local Network

Help ASAP anyone? Spark Dev people? Hello?

Douglas

• Photo of Douglas Felde

I found this regarding iOS 14.3 - I believe that Spark needs to write a little code to update the Checkin app for iPads:  And with iOS 14, the tech giant has taken its well-known obsession for robust privacy to another level by introducing several top-of-the-line features including “Local Network access restriction”. Unlike before, apps must ask permission to find and connect with devices on the local network. Currently, in the latest version of Checkin for iPads, the ability to enable Local Network for Checkin is not available.     https://beebom.com/manage-local-network-access-of-apps-ios-14/ 

• Photo of Centerbranch Administrator

We are having the same issue with our printers. We are on iOS 14.4. I went through the article Douglas Felde shared and nothing shows up in our local network either. Are there any updates on this issue?

• Photo of Douglas Felde

Hi Sue,

We were able to "trigger" the allow local network prompt for Rock on iPads by connecting to the demo Rock instance Checkin and initiating a label print from there. Not sure why our Rock instance wouldn't trigger it. After we got the Local Network access for Rock on the iPad, we re-connected to our instance and as long as the iPad had one of the older Checkin apps, it would print (but not without a lot of connecting bluetooth and disconnecting etc). 

Stranger still is that we can successfully print from any other church's Rock regardless of iOS version or Checkin app version. This issue is a sticky one

• Photo of Mike Sipps

This is what we had to do to finally get the iPad to print again.

1. upgrade the firmware on the zebra printers

2. upgrade to latest ios on ipad to latest version

3. upgrade rock out of the 10.x to 11.x version

Whatever was corrupted or stuck gave up finally and I was prompted to allow rock app to access the network and printing started again.

I still do not know what the root cause was and my theory is it was compatibility issues with earlier versions of rock when iPad upgraded IOS.

Hope this helps!

mike

• Photo of Mike Sipps

Well, here we go again at a different campus and two new iPads.  I cannot get the iPads to force request access to the local network.  Is there a code problem?  It has permissions to camera for barcode and Siri and search for internet but for the life of me it will not request access to local network.

PLEASE HELP!

mike