Question

Photo of Kirsteen Ng

Editing Account Entry Block Type

Hi - I am new to Rock RMS and would like to make some changes in order to customize the member registration process. I would like to add the "What language are you fluent in" section in the current registration form but could not find any way to manually edit the current registration form.

After much exploration, I found a block type Account Entry that might be linked to the registration form (please correct me if I am wrong) and would like to edit it. However it says "Because this block type is used by Rock, editing is not enabled."

Screen Shot 2018-03-04 at 13.58.31.png

Would be much appreciated if someone could advise how to edit/make a new block so that I can customize the current registration form. Thanks lot!

• Photo of Michael Garrison

Welcome to Rock Kirsteen!

The block you've identified is indeed the block used on /page/4 (used when people need to register a login).

However, most Rock admins never need to actually edit a block (which is done in C#) and editing a stock block is not a great idea anyway since your changes would be lost the next time you updated Rock.

Each block has settings however, which admins DO regularly change, and which are not lost in an update. To access these, go to the page itself where the block is added, and hover your mouse at the bottom of the page to access the admin toolbar. The first button looks like four blocks and brings up a settings flyout menu for each block on the page. Hover over that menu for the account entry block and click the settings icon. A dialogue will open and allow you to change how the block works on that page.

However, let's clarify what you're wanting people to do... Do you want them to simply enter themselves in the database, or to set up a login account? The block you're looking at is for this second use, and it tries to match an existing record already in Rock... which could already have that language attribute set. If you just want to get their information into Rock, I recommend using a New Family page (which uses the new group block) - this block allows you to specify any category of person attributes which are prompted for in the registration.

I recommend reading through the Rock Admin Hero Guide documentation, followed by the Person and Family Field Guide, if you haven't already. It will get you familiar with these blocks and options... Especially if you haven't created the language person attribute yet.

• Photo of Kirsteen Ng

Hi, thanks for your reply. Yes, I am trying set up the attribute and allow members to update/edit the attribute by themselves. After creating the attribute Language Spoken in Person Attribute, under category of Membership, I now would like to add the Person Attribute block onto their account page.

Screen Shot 2018-03-07 at 23.49.30.png

After adding the Attribute Value, I try to configure the block by selecting Membership under Category. However, nothing appears on the My Account page. What did I miss out here?

Screen Shot 2018-03-07 at 23.55.59.png