Watch a screencast of me doing all the steps on Rock Solid Church Demo

Steps

1. Create a Group Type that can sync from DataViews
  2. Make this group type able to be a folder too
  3. Create a Group of this type, and set it to sync from our DataView
  4. Make a folder for our Group Sync or Automated Emails group

In preparation for these steps, have a DataView and a System Email already setup that you can use. The first time you do this use a test DataView of yourself or you and some staff. I don't want you to complete this tutorial and you automate emailing hundreds of people without realizing it.

To find system emails, it's Tools -> Communications -> System Emails To find Data Views, it's Admin Tools -> DataViews

DataView precautions
As of January 2020, I've heard that GroupSync welcome emails will email Persons who have their email preferences set to Do Not Mail. That also reminds me that I usually you aren't intended to mail children either. So add these to your DataView you are going to automated emails off of:

1. Click Add Filter -> Filter Type -> Person Fields -> Email Preference = Email Allowed
2. Click Add Filter -> Filter Type -> Person Fields -> Age Classification = Adult

Find or Create a Group Type that can sync from dataviews

You may already have a Group Type called Synced Group, which is usable for these purposes.

You may also have a Group Type your org has created that has Group Sync attribute checked, and that works too.

In this step we are going to create a new Group Type for those that need it. You also might need this step to help with the next step, "Make this group type able to be a folder"

Creating a new Group Type with Group Sync checked

1. Admin Tools -> General Settings -> Group Types
  2. Plus button (add new)
  3. Name the group type (like DataViewSyncable or something)
  4. Go to General section of the form
  5. Check Allow Group Sync
  6. Save

Make this group type able to be a folder too

1. Edit the Group Type we just made
  2. General
  3. Under Child Group Types, click Plus and the select our new Group Type from the dropdown (DataViewSyncable)
  4. Click Save in the modal
  5. Click Save at the bottom of the screen

Make a folder for our Group Sync or Automated Emails group

Optional Step. We are just making a folder for where to put this new group. If you have a group folder you like and can use you can do that. You can even put the group at the Top Level of groups, but that's not a sustainable way to organize your groups. The main reason we are creating this folder is that many folders don't allow us to add our new group type as a child to that folder.

Click 'Add Group' to make the group that will be the folder

Name it either "Group Syncs" for all Group Sync groups or "Automated Emails"

Create Group under folder

1. Click on the group folder
  2. Click 'Add Group'
  3. Click 'Add Child to Selected' to make the group that will be as a child in that folder
  4. Set Group Type to DataViewSyncable (or whatever you named your group type)
  5. Click Group Sync Settings
  6. Click the plus button in the bottom right
  7. Set Sync Data View to the DataView you want to get the email
  8. Set Group Role to Assign to Member
  9. Set Welcome Email to the System Email you want to send
  10. Click Save in the modal
  11. Click Save at the bottom of the page

Other Notes

You can use Person attributes in the lava of the System Email like `Hi {{Person.NickName}}`