Question

Photo of Dan Abbuhl

Labels erroring on Black bar. Can the bar be removed?

I have been working on this issue for days and I can't figure out what is wrong.

Whenever the label gets to the black bar, it stops, red light comes on, ends and will not print out any other labels.

I downloaded the ZebraDesigner to see if I could create a label. 

If I have a label with only text, it prints fine but the moment that I have a bar bigger than a line, the same thing happens. 

I have 2 of the Zebra LP2844-Z printers with Direct Thermal labels.

Can anyone tell me what part of the label code is the black bar so that I can remove it?

Here is the code for the Name tag:

CT~~CD,~CC^~CT~
^XA~TA000~JSN^LT0^MNW^MTD^PON^PMN^LH0,0^JMA^PR6,6~SD24^JUS^LRN^CI0^XZ
^XA
^MMT
^PW812
^LL0406
^LS0
^FT16,256^A0N,135,146^FH\^FDNickName^FS
^FT18,328^A0N,56,55^FH\^FDLastName^FS
^LRY^FO0,0^GB812,0,122^FS^LRN
^PQ1,0,1,Y^XZ

I think if I could remove the black bar, it would print fine.  Please help.

• Photo of Jim Michael

While I don't think the black bar is your issue, you can remove it by deleting this line from your label 

^LRY^FO0,0^GB812,0,122^FS^LRN

There is something very wrong with your printer setup if it's stopping mid-label, and this would just be masking the real problem, if it does work.

• Dan Abbuhl

It worked on the name tag, note label, child label (icon), child label (text) but still the Parent label is stopping at the top of the label. I have to have this working on Sunday and this is the last day in the office.

• Jim Michael

It sounds like your physical labels might not be the right size compared to the Rock label. Are you using 4x2? I have no magic button... we're not ZPL experts here, but as I said above if removing the black bar "fixes" your label printing, it's just hiding an underlying issue. There could be something wrong with the printers since you apparently bought them used?

• Dan Abbuhl

They are 4x2 labels. Right now everything is working except the parents label. Right now it stops at the bottom statement "For the safety of your child, you must present this receipt when picking up your child. If you loose this please see the area director.
      How would I add this to the Child Label (Icon) tag?

• Dan Abbuhl

I'm not sure what's going on. Most of the time, the parent label works and sometimes it stops. This is very frustrating.

• Jim Michael

I don't think it's the label stock, unless you bought continous labels and the printer is set up to look for a gap. What kind of labels do you actually have?

• Photo of Lee Peterson

I'm not sure if this was ever resolved, but it seems that there's a strong likelihood that the power supply is bad. Generic power supplies purchased with used printers in one case did exactly this, and swapping with a known good one solved it. Another likely possibility is that the printhead is going bad.

• Photo of Joe Milakovic

Found solution to "Whenever the label gets to the black bar, it stops, red light comes on, ends and will not print out any other labels." it was using the proper Zebra power cord, the ones that had the problem were using a generic power cord.