Question

Photo of Conrad Yoder

Getting started - Server Error in '/' Application.

I am in the process of setting up my first test environment of RockRMS, for evaluation and hopefully first use at our church. I am self-hosting on Azure, and I (apparently...) successfully completed the initial configuration earlier today (did not get any errors), but now when I go access the site, I am getting an unfortunately vague error:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Runtime Error

Description: An exception occurred while processing your request. Additionally, another exception occurred while executing the custom error page for the first exception. The request has been terminated.

If I attempt to access the site from a web browser (IE, Firefox) on the server (Server 2016 Datacenter x64) - same error. I can successfully access the DB via SSMS (running on its own Azure SQL Server instance). All Windows Updates to the server are current.

What is the next step here for troubleshooting? Thanks much for the assistance!

• Photo of Conrad Yoder

Ok figured it out - I looked in the log file at www_root\App_Data\Logs\RockExceptions.csv and found an error referencing the SQL connection string in www_root\web.ConnectionStrings.config. My admin password did contain "non-standard" (🙄 cmon people it's 2019) characters. I changed the admin password in Azure, and changed the password in web.ConnectionStrings.config, and it works! Glad to move on to the next phase...