Question

Photo of Stephanie Francis

Create a MERGE TEMPLATE for a printable directory?

Rock Code for Printed Directory.docx

Rock (and coding) novice here.

I'm wondering if I can create my own merge template. I know Rock is preset with the basics- envelopes, address labels, etc, but I'm wondering if I can design my own template to output exactly what I want, and if so, how??

--

What I really want to do is produce a printable directory. The online directory feature simply won't work for all members of our congregation and I want to be able to also hand out paper copies for those who need it. 

I found the attached coding in another Q&A thread. It definitely gets me the information I want, but I'd like multiple families to be on a single page, if possible? Anyone with the skill set to do that? THANKS!

• Photo of Matthew Meekins

Yes you can! Two things:

1. You can go to General Settings -> Merge Templates on your Rock instance and look through the stock ones. You can also download those to see how they're built. 

2. https://community.rockrms.com/Rock/BookContent/9#mergedocuments This is the documentation for merge documents. 

Also, if you ask around in chat about what you're trying to do, someone may have already made what you're looking for. 

I guess that was 3 things. 

• Photo of Stephanie Francis

Thanks!

I basically want to create a template to output a church directory. Family name, family members, address, emails, phone numbers.

Has anyone already done the leg work to create this??

• Photo of Matthew Meekins

That actually wouldn't be too hard to do in just a .csv export. You would create a data view with all your active members. Then make a report based on that data view with all the fields you want. Hit the "Export to Excel" button and you have an Excel document with all your data. That is the highlighted button in the image. 

Annotation 2019-10-02 183432.png