Question

Photo of Johnny Pierre

Random nonstop exception emails: An exception has occurred. Details of this error can be found below

I get these random exception emails that burn through my email limits every so often. I'm new to Rock, can anyone help? This time, I got 2 different exceptions, listed below. Is there a way to limit these emails? maybe one email per exception per hour? Despite the emails, my site seems to be working fine 

An exception has occurred. Details of this error can be found below:

An error occurred on the Rock RMS site on page:

https://XX.XX.XX.109:443/page/3?returnurl=%252f

CryptographicException in System.Web

Error occurred during a cryptographic operation.

Stack Trace

at System.Web.Security.Cryptography.HomogenizingCryptoServiceWrapper.HomogenizeErrors(Func`2 func, Byte[] input)

at Rock.Web.UI.RockHiddenFieldPageStatePersister.Load()

at System.Web.UI.Page.LoadPageStateFromPersistenceMedium()

at System.Web.UI.Page.LoadAllState()

at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

An exception has occurred. Details of this error can be found below:

An error occurred on the Rock RMS site on page:

https://XX.XX.XX.109:443/page/3?returnurl=%252f

FormatException in mscorlib

Invalid length for a Base-64 char array or string.

Stack Trace

at System.Convert.FromBase64_Decode(Char* startInputPtr, Int32 inputLength, Byte* startDestPtr, Int32 destLength)

at System.Convert.FromBase64CharPtr(Char* inputPtr, Int32 inputLength)

at System.Convert.FromBase64String(String s)

at System.Web.UI.ObjectStateFormatter.Deserialize(String inputString, Purpose purpose)

at System.Web.UI.ScriptManager.LoadHistoryState(String serverState)

at System.Web.UI.ScriptManager.LoadPostData(String postDataKey, NameValueCollection postCollection)

at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessPostData(NameValueCollection postData, Boolean fBeforeLoad)

at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

• Photo of Jim Michael

I would first say that Exceptions are just part of running a .NET-based webapp. Exceptions can happen because the user did something unexpected, a true bug, or by bots out on the internet scanning your server for ways to exploit it... these are often the #1 reason for your exceptions, and it's just part of having a public-facing web server.

Second, I would say to DISABLE the emailing of exceptions to yourself. This is a feature that can be useful when you're setting up Rock and getting familiar with it, but getting an email for every exception quickly wears thin. You should instead disable that, and just train yourself as part of your Admin duties to look at the log (Admin | System Settings | Exception Log) periodically for things that might need your attention.... those being exceptions that actually bubble up to the user interface (web page you or someone else is on) and "blow up" with a nasty error.

Pretty much everything else can be ignored. You can disable the emailing of exceptions by going to Admin | General Settings | Global Attributes and remove whatever address is in the Email Exceptions List attribute.