Question

Photo of Adrian Schmidt

Please help - new install!

Hi

I installed a testing server and install worked amazingly good. Now that Im getting ready to install the "actual" server this is what I get (tired many times / reinstalled sql / not sure what else to do / getting into desperate mode!)

InstallError.JPG

Error

That Wasn't Suppose To Happen An error occurred while configuring Rock. Message: ExecuteNonQuery: CommandText property has not been initialized

where can I get the error log? anybody with the same issue? I need to go live today or end of this week max... Thanks!!!

Adrian

• Photo of Adrian Schmidt

Okay in the end it seems that something was filtering my server... no messages, no log nothing... I put my server as much out of my firewall as possible, and the great news is "

RocksRMS is working great!!!

Thank you all for your help, your support and your prayers!!!

Adrian

I did reinstall completely the server, just to get to exactly the same error. Is it possible the installer is not working? Any place where I can have a look at what the installer is doing and possibly doing it manually?

Any hint will be much appreciated :)

Thanks!

8 days to reopening church in this era... we need Rock very soon running! Thanks a million!

I investigated a little more, and this is the progress I get on the install:

-= Configuring Rock =--
    Successfully created web.ConnectionString.config.
    Downloading SQL configuration script.
    SQL configuration script downloaded.
    Merging values into SQL config script.
    Values merged into SQL config script.
    Running SQL config script.
    Error configuring Rock:ExecuteNonQuery: CommandText property

And the problem is that sql-config.sql is completely empty! Where does that file come from? Any hints of why it is empty?

• Photo of Michael Roth

Adrian,

Welcome to the Rock community.  Can you give us a bit more of your environment details?  Are you hosted in Azure or local? If Azure what is the DB Pricing Tier?  If local what is the specs of the VM the DB is sitting on? When I run into this it is usually from an SQL server that does not have the correct user rights or the DB processing power does not have the correct level of umph to get installed.  

When I install on Azure I usually will do an S1 till the server is setup and then back down to an S0 till I import data.  

Let us know and someone would be glad to help.  You are not alone so post away!

Hi Michael

Thank you so much! Sorry  I didn't provide any details. This is my own server, and I use proxmox for the virtualization platform on the free tier (yes the whole project, for now, runs on 0 budget)

The virtual hardware is 2 Virtual processors, 8 Gb of RAM, and is a Windows 2019 server core. Here is a screenshot of the "proxmox" virtual machine details

rockrms.JPG

The interesting part is that the database gets created, but the sql-config.sql file is of size 0 - and that is what the system is trying to run.

Thank you for any hint you can provide!

Adrian

• Michael Roth

Your server size is more than plenty. Can you see from proxmox dashboard how the VM is acting? i am not familiar with proxmox so I am not much help with the logs. A couple of things to try.

1. look at the logs for proxmox to see if the server CPU or Disk usage is being limited as it spikes up pretty quick to do all the install processes.

2. Did you use a known good install files or is this a new one. It has been a couple weeks since I have used the install files so that is a potential, but unlikely, culprit.

3. Try the on a different machine like azure or aws to rule out its your environment.

I will try and think of something else and if I get time I will try to do a fresh install later today to help rule that out.

I'm installing a new server right and will give it a try. I wouldn't mind later to do a "how to" to install this great software in a Core environment, that makes everything so much easier to manage...

We'll see what happens with new real hardware - will post again!

Okay so I installed a complete new server, and still get the same error... I'm stuck at the following (log here)

IIS Version: Microsoft-IIS/10.0

.Net Version: 4.0.30319.42000
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows NT 10.0.17763.0
    Machine Name: MYCHURCH
    Current Directory: c:\windows\system32\inetsrv
    64 Bit OS/Process: True/True
    --= Install Data =--
    Installer Properties
    Installer Version: 2_9_1
    Connection String
    Server: localhost
    Database: rockrms
    Username: RockUser
    Password: *****
    Admin User
    Username: administrator
    Password: ***** (Ha! Good one...)
    Organization Info
    Name: College Heights SDA Church
    Email: office@chsda.ca
    Phone:(403) 782-6131
    Hosting Info
    Internal Url: http://mychurchadmin.chsda.ca
    External Url: http://mychurch.chsda.ca
    Timezone: Mountain Standard Time (sounds like a nice place)
    --= Download SQL Step =--
    Downloading file: http://storage.rockrms.com/install/2_9_1/Data/sql-latest.zip
    10% downloaded
    20% downloaded
    30% downloaded
    40% downloaded
    50% downloaded
    60% downloaded
    70% downloaded
    80% downloaded
    90% downloaded
    100% downloaded
    File Download Complete!
    --= Download Rock Step =--
    Downloading file: http://storage.rockrms.com/install/2_9_1/Data/rock-install-latest.zip
    10% downloaded
    20% downloaded
    30% downloaded
    40% downloaded
    50% downloaded
    60% downloaded
    70% downloaded
    80% downloaded
    90% downloaded
    100% downloaded
    File Download Complete!
    --= Creating Database =--
    Database rockrms does not exist creating it.
    Database rockrms created successfully.
    Unziping file: sql-latest.zip
    100% unzipped
    sql-latest.zip sucessfully unzipped.
    Preparing to run sql-install.sql
    There are 6379 scripts to run.
    10% of scripts run
    20% of scripts run
    30% of scripts run
    40% of scripts run
    50% of scripts run
    60% of scripts run
    70% of scripts run
    80% of scripts run
    90% of scripts run
    100% of scripts run
    Successfully ran sql-install.sql.
    --= Configuring Rock =--
    Successfully created web.ConnectionString.config.
    Downloading SQL configuration script.
    SQL configuration script downloaded.
    Merging values into SQL config script.
    Values merged into SQL config script.
    Running SQL config script.
    Error configuring Rock:ExecuteNonQuery: CommandText property

And the error on top says:

That Wasn't Suppose To Happen An error occurred while configuring Rock. Message: ExecuteNonQuery: CommandText property has not been initialized

And here is a screenshot of my file system when the installer stalls. I find the sql-config.sql file odd, since the size is 0 bytes. Can that be a problem?

filesystem.JPG

Please anybody help? Can I continue the install manually? Thank you so much!!!

Adrian