Question

Photo of Aaron Hackett

Printing Labels From The Web

I have 2 GX420D Label Printers I am trying to use for our kids check in. But after the check in process, no labels are printed and no error is shown. 

Bellow is our configuration: 

• Rock instance is in Azure
  • The check in device is a Raspberry Pi running a CUPS print server
  • Check In devices uses the web interface (domain.com/checkin)
  • Label printer is setup as "print using device" and "print from client"

Is it possible that the reason no labels are being generated is due to the fact that our Rock Instance is hosted in azure and the web page is being called on our local network? I thought that if I set the device to print using device and from client that it would cause that check in kiosk to look to its cups server for a default printer on the local network. 

Any ideas are greatly appreciated - bellow are images of the setup including CUPS.

Screenshot_6.pngScreenshot_7.pngScreenshot_8.png

• Photo of Brandon Gamache

Hey Aaron,

What OS are you using for your Raspberry Pi? Is your Org. network connected to your Azure network (through VPN)? 

My first thoughts are, in order for the labels to print you will need to use Rock's check-in app for Windows OS--unless there has been an update, labels will not print from just a browser.

If your Org. network is not connected to your Azure network, you will probably need to use a device in Rock without an IP address. In the second screenshot of the device details, your device has an IP address--if the server is not on the same network, you don't need an IP address in the IP address field. For testing, I would just create a new device.

But I think the main thing is using a Windows OS and installing the Check-in App. If Windows has different OSes for Raspberry Pi, I don't know which ones the Check-in App will work on and which ones it will not, so you may have to test that as well.