Question

Photo of Kristen Bonney

How do I get help if I'm completely stuck?

I don't have experience in coding and have been trying on-and-off to help my church set up an external website through Rock for a couple of years. We only want to use it for a couple of specific things and link it to our main website. The problem is, I can't figure out how to set up a single aspect of it, despite watching the videos etc. How do I get extra help? Is it an option to hire someone to help us out for a bit just to get things set up how we want it? 

• Photo of Michael Roth

You can post your questions in Rocket chat or hire someone. If you want to hire someone you can look at the partners page. 

https://www.rockrms.com/partners

I have heard Pillars, 9 Embers, and Truimph have done some phenomenal integrations like you are wanting. 

• Photo of Jeremy Hoff

Hi Kristen,

Glad you're here!

You have options, for sure. If you find yourself stuck and want to pass this onto someone else, check with the Partners page for help. There is a cost of course.

If you're a DIYer and just need help getting over the hump, the Chat is your best bet since there are more eyes watching at any given moment. I see you have used the chat already. Though not for the feint of heart, these are pretty doable with plenty of grit, google, and assistance from the folks on chat. A few hints that may help you out with your specific question:

1. Copy/past the set of pages starting with Rock's "External Website". Rename the top page from "External Website" to a name of your choosing, such as "my.glencairn.ca".
    2. Create a new Site (RockRMS > CMS > Site) and set the new set of pages from #1 above as the default first page. There are some details that I.T. people are used to providing, such as the URLs and the like. There may also some related setup with your web server and/or DNS.
    3. Configure the specific needs you want to set up.

The above will leave you with a /lot/ of functionality that you do not need and those functions will be visible to site visitors. Setting security can fix this, as well as editing pages to "Hide" them from Nav. Again, not for the feint of heart but this part tends to be more tedious than difficult, especially if you have lots of functions to hide from view.

Alternatively, if you identify the features you wish to implement we could direct you to copy/paste only those sets of pages that you need into a new portal.

Hope that helps - thanks for asking,