Question

Photo of Mike Wu

Recovering Rock from server crash

We have been running Rock on-prem until recently, that is when our server crashed. We have done some development that we really would like to get back. I was able to recover a copy of the files under wwwroot and a copy of the .mdb database file (both are not backups, but the raw file). I am now trying to recover that entire install on azure. The main roadblock is that I can't just copy the IIS files back and repoint to the database, IIS does not seem to be able to recover this way. ( I don't have an IIS backup file, so that option is out).

How can I recover my install with what I have on hand?

I did notice that the new install is rock 1.12.7.nupkg. My OLD install base is 1.10.4.nupkg. looking to the community for some help on how I can recover the installation to the same version that I have.

thanks in advance.

Mike

• Photo of Michael Garrison

Mike,

As long as you have the files from the IIS folder, that should be all that IIS needs. Make sure that you set up the new IIS instance properly as if it were brand-new; set the Identity to System, set the correct .net version, etc.

Then if you've managed to restore your backup to an Azure database, you'll need to go into your web.connectionstrings.config file in the root of the IIS site and update the server, database name, and credentials to connect to the new database.

However, it sounds like maybe you've installed a NEW copy of Rock in IIS? That isn't necessary if you can get your old database restored, and you'll definitely have issues with the version mismatch in that case. If you can replace the IIS site with all of your original files and make sure that you have pointed the connection strings to your restored database, there shouldn't be any version mismatch.