Question

Photo of Casey Smith

How do I provide FTP access to folders in the Rock install for 3rd party?

Okay, so I recently came onboard with my church staff and due to some staff shifts am now the primary Rock Admin here; we are partnering with a 3rd party to assist with updating our website, but they are requesting FTP access to upload plugins and HTML templates to the /plugins and /Themes/<New Website Theme folder> locations.

My question is twofold, how do I find in Rock where my install is at (there is unfortunately less documentation regarding this that was left that I hoped), and from there, how would I go about providing that FTP access within it?

• Photo of Jeff Richmond

I echo what Steven has said, setting up FTP access is related to the server, not Rock specifically.

It's also worth mentioning that you should be very careful about giving out FTP access. If it's set up wrong, they could potentially have unrestricted access to your entire database. The biggest thing to be aware of is making sure the FTP access is locked down to very specific folders and specifically that they do not have access to the root Rock folder.

Also, since I'm generally a little more paranoid about this stuff I might consider having them sign some kind of document like an NDA that protects the privacy of your data as well as specifically lists the specific people in their organization that will be given access to the FTP login info.

• Photo of Steven Kelly

Casey,

This question may be a bit tough for the community to answer.  My first suggestion is to speak with whoever is on staff that would have the role of System Administrator.  They will be able to tell you where the server is hosted either On-Premises or hosted (most likely on Azure).  Once that is figured out FTP access can be set up by whoever administrates the server at the Windows Server level.  

Steven

• Photo of Casey Smith

Thanks Steven, unfortunately that person is no longer on staff. I suspect it is hosted via Azure, I just don't have that info from the previous admin. I appreciate the response, and I'll keep digging on my end to get that info.

• Photo of Steven Kelly

Casey,

Glad to help.  Who are you working with that is asking for the ftp access?  If they are a Rock partner they may also be able to help you with managing that as well at least until you don't need help with that anymore.  If you haven't already please join the community on Rocket.Chat as well.  We are all here to help each other out, so please feel free to reach out and the community can help with your transition to Rock admin as much as possible.

Steven