Ideas

Rock Update block should detect current Azure DTU ceiling and warn user if it's too low.

Rock Update block should detect current Azure DTU ceiling and warn user if it's too low.

Core

If Rock is running on Azure, there is a stored procedure that will let us determine what the current DTU limits the database is configured for. For the v11 upgrade, even though the upgrade notes mention bumping up the DTU, we still had a lot of people report errors after upgrade that were because they didn't notice/read and didn't bump up the DTU.

I think it would be useful if the Rock Update block checked what the current DTU was and if it's below a certain value present a warning to the user (not an error, let them go ahead if they want). This could either be an alert div on the page or a bootstrap modal dialog asking them to confirm the upgrade even though their DTU might be to low.

Additional details can be found at https://github.com/SparkDevNetwork/Rock/issues/4331

Photo of Daniel Hazelbaker Submitted by Daniel Hazelbaker, Shepherd Church  ·   ·  Core
Login to add a comment...

• Ben Murphy

This is also true for AWS, it require bumping up the RDS instance type. But looking into Daniel's github issue I don't see AWS writing any sort of performance value into the db that can be checked against. So we've just been manually bumping up prior to upgrades and then back down similar to the Azure DTU process.

• Jon Edmiston

This is actively being worked on. We now track the DTU of the system in our static configuration object. Not sure when this will be complete, but it’s being worked on.

• Jim Michael

Nice! I'll also mention for completeness-sake that the current instructions are too vague... they say "If using Azure, we recommend temporarily adjusting your DTUs above 100 prior to the update." but it doesn't say how MUCH above 100, and we've seen multiple cases where someone AT 100 DTU fails to upgrade to v11 until they bump it up.

If I used Azure, I'd bump mine to 1000 or something just for the few minutes it takes to upgrade, just to let it complete quickly, then take them back down. Of course, if you forget to take it back down, you could get a "fun" invoice from MS ;-)