Question

Photo of Brad Kemp

Moved Rock now Can't Access

Hello,

We originally installed Rock on our root folder, but then moved it into a subfolder so we could install WP as the main site.

Now I cannot access the rock admin area. 

We have little knowledge on what to do so any pointers or advise on where to begin to rectify what I have done, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• Photo of Jim Michael

I don't think you will get this to work reliably. Rock is designed to run at the root of its web server, and will not be happy running in a folder of another web site. Even if you do get it running, you will be chasing down weird issues for eternity. What you need is two separate IIS "web sites", both of which can run on the same server and even the same IP, but IIS will treat them separately, each with their own hostname. 

I would also urge you to consider letting Rock be the web server... you lose SO much power of Rock when it's just an add-on to another web site. I realize this is often a decision by the web people or a person in leadership and out of your control, but at least let them go into that model with eyes wide open, knowing what they are giving up in order to have an "easy" web site. Just my .02!
  • Photo of Daniel Hazelbaker

I don't believe Rock supports being installed in a subfolder. What you would need to do instead is setup a new domain for rock that can be used for public access while keeping Rock itself in the root of the "Site" (as configured in IIS). e.g.

rock.yourchurch.org -> internal Rock site

www.yourchurch.org -> external WP site

www2.yourchurch.org -> external Rock site

• Photo of Brad Kemp

Daniel, so your saying at winhost, I should buy a new domain (ex: myhopeoflebanon.com) named something close to our main web url (hopeoflebanon.com), then install Rock on that? I think I can handle that, if that's what you're saying.

Jim, we tried REALLY hard to use the rock external site as our main site without using anything like WP. But we just couldn't figure out how to edit certain things that we found super easy on other platforms, such as WP. Jim, I've also tried doing things in IIS and can never figure it out. The terminology,etc. regarding setting up 2 sites on the same server but with 2 separate IIS is above my head.

If all I need to do is buy another domain and install Rock there, let me know.

Thanks

Brad, you don't need to buy another domain. You can just use a sub-domain, such as rock.hopeoflebanon.com

• Photo of Brad Kemp

Ok...I've got a subdomain already. It's named my.hopeoflebanon.com. I had that subdomain thinking i would install rock there....but I cannot seem to figure out how to install rock on that subdomain. When I log into it via FTP, I never see the subdomain listed at winhost.

Any ideas? I contacted winhost and didn't get anywhere.

Sorry I have not used WinHost so I don't know what to look for or how they are configured. With a normal self-hosted IIS you just right click in IIS Manager and select "create new site". I would imagine with a hosted solution it is more complicated than that.

• Photo of Brad Kemp

I contacted WINHOST. They told me to do the below:

"Basically you will need to download all your WordPress files (via FTP) to your computer. Then delete everything on the root. Once that is done, upload your rock rms site to the empty root. Once that is done create a subfolder called /my on your root. Now, since you have all your WordPress files on your computer, you will then upload your WordPress files to the subfolder /my."

So I did that, then I couldn't access the WP site, which is the main site. However, I could access Rock Admin and the Rock external site. So I wrote back to the tech guy and he fixed a couple of things then told me to do the following:

"/my needed to be set as an application starting point in the Winhost Control Panel.

The database needed to be updated with the new location of WordPress, ie, hopeoflebanon.com/my

The Runtime Error at http://hopeoflebanon.com/my/ appears to be due to a conflict with WordPress and Rock RMS and its web.config. If Rock RMS has to be run from the document root of a site, you may need to have two site accounts rather than one. One site account for Rock RMS and one for WordPress. Or it may be possible to avoid the issue by disabling inheritance in the document root's web.config as in the example here: https://stackoverflow.com/a/5968658 If it is possible to avoid the conflict between the two content management systems, you could set WordPress as a subdirectory pointer that just uses the root domain while creating a subdomain which will resolve to the document root by default."

I've read url he sent but can't make "heads nor tails" of it. Can anyone here direct me on what to do in order to get the WP site viewable again as the main site but still keep Rock admin area accessible?

Thanks

I don't know if this will break things in Rock, but I would try the top-half of the solution below the one he linked to:

https://stackoverflow.com/a/5968658

Basically, wrap everything inside the `<configuration>` clause inside the `<location path="." inheritInChildApplications="false">...</location>` and see if that works. But at this point we are really outside of Rock and trying to work around the way your hosting provider has set things up, so we may not be able to help much further at this point.

• Photo of Brad Kemp

Looks like that did not work. It's giving HTTP Error 500.19 - Internal Server Error.

Daniel, so nothing else to try, right? If not, looks like we'll have to scrap using Rock, which everyone will find disappointing. But being a small church, we don't have the staff to handle getting things sorted out to use WP and Rock.

The only other thing to try would be to setup Rock on it's own domain and setup WP on it's own domain.  That would be the recommended (and normal) way to configure things.  You don't need a full second top-level domain, just a new domain entry called "rock" in the domain you already own.