Question

Photo of Daniel Barr

Best way to host rock and website on different servers

Our website currently runs on it's own hosting plan, and I have used Azure to install rock (2 server setup).  What is the simplest way to get some subdomains from our website pointing at the internal and external sites of rock.  Created subdomains and just redirecting them to the ip/page/1 ip/page/12 links, or is there a better way to do it?

The redirects have the unwanted affect of removing the vanity.website.com and replacing it with the IP though, so a solution that would keep the URL would be nice.  How do most people do this, I'm sure I'm not the first that has wanted to do this.

• Photo of Michael Roth

Here is what I do with a Linux host for WP and azure for our Rock.  

Mychurch.com or www.Mychurch.com (fake Name) goes to our front end welcome screen via WP. In the future we plan to go all rock but we are still in phase 1. 

Rock.Mychurch.com goes to the external rock site using CNames as the transport for pointing to Azure. (This is the page 1 reference you made)

Rockadmin.Mychurch.com is our internal site also using CNames like above with sub domains. (This is the page 12 reference)

then I put a link on the internal rock site to the admin so people don't have to remember the rockadmin and only shows if they are logged in with staff credentials and above .  

make sense or need anything else just ask or google "point subdomain to azure vm" and that will walk you through the steps.  Just note the VM custom domain works different then the app.

Enjoy!