Question

Photo of Craig Mashburn

Running Check-in App in Windowed Screen

I would like to be able to have the Check-in Windows app run in a window instead of full screen on our manned check-in station. This would make it simpler for users to switch between Check-in and Check-In Manager. (most do not know about Alt-Tab)

I have tried some things I found on the internet, but no luck so far. Anyone have any ideas how to accomplish this?

• Photo of Steve Lipinski

Not sure if it helps your situation, but I did find that if you open a page in the Windows Check-In App - checkin within an IFrame on that page will work and can print.  By this, I mean the check-in app can be pointed to a non-checkin page, since it's just a customized IE-based browser.

I am taking advantage of this to develop an Attended Check-In site (called Check-In Central - based heavily on Jim's Shoulder the Boulder article where he used that name...) .  There is a button for accessing the Check-In Kiosk, and on my site, this button opens a modal-wrapped IFrame with the URL for the Check-In kiosk.  You could do the same thing for Check-In Manager - open in an IFrame.

Would require development of a top-level page at a minimum to house the buttons and IFrame(s).

I would, however, second a "vote" for an enhancement to the Windows check-in app to be able to run in windowed mode.

• Photo of Steve Lipinski

Yes, you still run the app fullscreen.  Only way around that is a code change (AFAIK).

The idea was that you could have a page with two buttons - Check-In Kiosk and Check-In Manager.  Each button opens an Iframe to the respective URL.  Thus the user could access both pages from one page - without needing to Alt-Tab or using tabs in the browser.  And, both those IFrames/pages could be open simultaneously. 

Depending on your CSS skills you could even make the two iframes into modals and even "windowized" where they could both be open and moved around, etc.  

Agreed - its not ideal, but in lieu of getting code change from Spark on the App to run windowed, it may suffice.

Once I finish my Check-In Central, I can share some screenshots or animations of it in action...  Probably later this week.

• Photo of Craig Mashburn

Gotcha. I will play with that idea tomorrow. Maybe putting both iframes on one page. 

• Photo of Craig Mashburn

So I setup a page with an iframe for the checkin page and an iframe for checkinmanager page. Works great. Only issue I have seen is when searching for a person in checkinmanager, people without pictures, the blank picture image is HUGE. No idea what would be causing that or how to fix it.