Question

Photo of David Hanson

Rock Shop Loading Error

I'm having a strange issue, which may be related to the issues I experienced during my recent upgrade to 8.5.

When I navigate to Rock Shop, the page loads and I see the various plugins that are available; however, I receive an error when attempting to click on a plugin, or when I click on the Purchases and Account links under "Store Links".

When I click on a plugin, I receive a message indicating, "Store Currently Not Available".

When I click on Purchases (under Store Links), I get a notification page of, "That Wasn't Support to Happen" with the following Exception:

JsonReaderException in Newtonsoft.Json

Unexpected character encountered while parsing value: <. Path '', line 0, position 0.

Stack Trace 

at Newtonsoft.Json.JsonTextReader.ParseValue() 

at Newtonsoft.Json.JsonTextReader.Read()

at Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalReader.ReadForType(JsonReader reader, JsonContract contract, Boolean hasConverter)

at Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalReader.Deserialize(JsonReader reader, Type objectType, Boolean checkAdditionalContent)

at Newtonsoft.Json.JsonSerializer.DeserializeInternal(JsonReader reader, Type objectType)

at Newtonsoft.Json.JsonConvert.DeserializeObject(String value, Type type, JsonSerializerSettings settings)

at Newtonsoft.Json.JsonConvert.DeserializeObject[T](String value, JsonSerializerSettings settings)

at Rock.Store.PackageService.GetPurchasedPackages(String& errorResponse)

at RockWeb.Blocks.Store.PurchasedPackages.DisplayPackages()

at RockWeb.Blocks.Store.PurchasedPackages.OnLoad(EventArgs e)

at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()

at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

When I click on "Account", I receive a notification page of, "We Can't Find That Page" (using the URL of http://www.rockrms.com/Rock/Organization/EAAAAKpQBT3pyODvAaNm9/C0vES07V0z98uc2PLYMfT7T1dUr+A7uYB6s+p++nQVdN5cOjjKW8ebql11lGwbC3LGJkg=)

I don't think this is a file issue as I can successfully access these links using my test Rock 8.5 instance and my production instance has the exactly copy of files.  So this must be a DB issue in that my production database has different values in a table (or tables) than my testing DB (which works). 

Can someone tell me what tables are accessed for these links so I can compare my testing DB with my production DB?

• Photo of Jeremy Parker

Thanks, Scott. My issue appears to have been related to a server change as well as I recently migrated from an Azure App Service to an Azure VM. I didn't re-copy files, but I did re-use some settings, and I cleared one out. For anyone having a similar issue, here's where I recommend starting - run the following on your rock sql database:

UPDATE [Attribute] SET [DefaultValue]='' WHERE [Key]='StoreOrganizationKey'

Basically, there's an encrypted store key that is stored there which is used when you try to log into the store. If no value is stored there, it takes you to the store login and then stores the value. This value is then encrypted with some values from the web.config.

In the midst of troubleshooting, I also copied over the following web.config values from my original site:

1. system.web/machineKey
    2. appSettings/PasswordKey
    3. appSettings/DataEncryptionKey

I hope this helps someone.

• David Hanson

This is awesome, Jeremy! For those that experience the same issue, after updating the Attribute table (and for those needing to update the web.config file), restart your instance of Rock. You should then be able to login to the store, install plugins, etc.

• Photo of Ted Clendenin

I'm having the same issue. Did you find an answer?

• Photo of David Hanson

Hi Ted!

Unfortunately, no.  I have yet to find out the answer.  Hopefully your post above will help spark new interest within the community.

• Photo of Jeremy Parker

I'm having the same issue.

• Photo of Scott Severt

I'm having the same issue. I assume I broke something when I changed servers. 

Edit: I removed everything from the new server, and re-copied the files and backed-up/restored the DB. This time the Store loads right. Something must've been missing.