Question

Photo of Rainelle Ellerbe

Subdomain Connection Error

I complete the steps to step up a subdomain but everytime I try to connect to it I get a connection time out error. Is there a way to get my subdomain to connect. 

• Michael Garrison

Rainelle, could you give us the name of the subdomain you're trying to set up, so we can check the DNS side of things and understand better how to help? Also, a screenshot of your "Admin Tools -> CMS Configuration -> Sites" page (/page/76, usually) would be helpful. Thanks!

• Photo of Michael Garrison

Rainelle and I connected in Slack to solve this issue- it turned out that their Azure server's Network Interface belonged to a Network Security Group in the Azure Portal which only had a single inbound rule, for remote desktop. We added two inbound rules, one for HTTP Server and the other for HTTPS server, and their Rock site started responding as soon as she saved the change.

• Photo of Rainelle Ellerbe

rock.bccint.org /www.rock.bccint.orgScreenshot (1).png

• Photo of Michael Garrison

Thanks for the info! it looks like both of your addresses are resolving to the same IP address, which is good. I can't get either to load at the moment- nothing is responding at those addresses- but I'll assume for the moment they're the correct address. I'm not used to seeing a CNAME pointing to anything at azure.com, but since the address matches, I'm going to assume that it's possible to use the Azure DNS to register names in this way, and that you happened to be the first to register "Rock" in the East US region.

Are you using remote desktop to log into the server using the rock.bccint.org address? If so, I think the next thing to check would be the firewall on the server- it needs to allow TCP traffic on ports 80 and 443 through to IIS.

Then I'd check the Rock site in IIS- check the bindings to make sure it's either listening on those two addresses, or else on "all" addresses.

Either way, I think you're going to want to change your External Website (in the Sites page you took the screenshot of) to use the domain www.rock.bccint.org and the Rock RMS site to use the domain rock.bccint.org (perhaps in addition to localhost).

Let us know if you need help verifying any of this 

I don't think I'm using remote desktop to log into the server using the rock.bccint.org address. How do I do this?

• Michael Garrison

When you bring up remote desktop connection, instead of using the IP address just type rock.bccint.org into the box and click connect

Are you talking about as the domain use rock.bccint.org