Question

Photo of Ruth Smith

Secure Give Reconcilation Issues

Just wondering if anyone is using the Secure Give interface available from the Rock Shop and what your experience has been in reconciling transactions between Rock and your bank deposits.  Our contributions team feels that the way this interface operates it could be a reconciliation nightmare.  Looking for advice.

• Photo of Michael Garrison

Ruth (copied from Slack):

I developed a tool for our church (see http://shouldertheboulder.com/Article?id=559) for use with SG-imported transactions- but it was actually for identifying transactions that come in without a batch, in order to move multiple transactions at once. I thought it could be tweaked a bit in order to allow you to move transactions with a date out of the range of the batch they're in, but I'm finding myself a little stuck at what the interface should be.

I can easily enough identify those troublesome transactions, but presumably in a whole list, there will be multiple "destination" batches that you'd want to move the transaction to- and other than making you move one transaction at a time, I'm not sure how else to group transactions for moving en masse.

Does your church only have one batch per day? If so, I could group inaccurate transactions by their date within each batch, and allow you to move all same-dated transactions from each batch into a single different batch of your choosing. Likewise if you only have one batch per week, I could group them by week. Otherwise, I think you're going to have a long page with every inaccurate transaction listed, and next to it a dropdown for choosing the destination batch. One transaction at a time, you could go down the page and choose the batch and have it be moved- that just sounds like a lot of manual work.

If you do go moving transactions between batches, there's also the issue that you'll only be able to move transactions into "Open" batches, and then you'll need to adjust your control amount to reflect the new transaction(s). Just something to consider 

Let me know what you think. 

• Michael Garrison

I should add that our accountant isn't thrilled with reconciliation with the current system, but since we can't get the transactions to import at midnight anyway, there's always some discrepancy between dates. She does a manual check to make sure everything's accounted for, and doesn't worry about making sure that the AMOUNTS are the same between the two sources. It's not ideal, but it's so much better than what we came from, it's been nice that these discrepancies have been the only issue ;-)