Question

Photo of Niyi Osibeluwo

Use existing labels for check in/out

Hello,

This is great software. I especially love how much features you have packed into the application all at a great price (or no price :) ).

It is one of the smoothest applications i have installed and used in a long time.

I am currently testing this for my church using a VM on my laptop. We have been having issues with registering and checking in/out children. Currently, we have parents sign forms every Sunday with their names, child's name, age and the tag number. The tags are plastic cards which we had earlier printed with the class name and number.

The parents are handed these tags and have to return it and sign out on the forms when picking up their child. There are several issues with this system and this is why I started out a search for some church management systems.

The check in feature of RockRMS is perfect for this but purchasing the printer and the labels is a bit expensive for us. (Our currency is about 500 to $1 :( ). Is there a way to use the cards we already have with the check in system? Probably a way to have it assign the tag numbers on the tag we already have printed as the child is being checked in.

Thanks

• Photo of Jim Michael

You could add a person attribute that holds the pre-printed tag number, and assign that to the child before they check in, but that's probably too much overhead/work unless the same kid gets the same tag every time. I don't think it would be easy to change the random (printed) code Rock generates to randomly select from the "ppol" of existing tag numbers you have, but it could be done with some developer talent.

• Photo of Niyi Osibeluwo

Thanks for the feedback and suggestion Jim. I don't mind having to get a child assigned the same tag every time. Please where on the system to I go to add a person attribute?

• Photo of Jim Michael

I would start by reading about Person Attributes here https://www.rockrms.com/Rock/BookContent/5/92#personattributes (actually, you should go ahead and read the entire doc, and AT LEAST the Admin Hero and Check-in guides as well. Jumping into Rock without reading the documentation is like swimming upstream ;-)

So, thinking out loud... since you don't care if a kid gets an "assigned" badge, you could create an attribute to hold this badge number, but it really has no meaning to the check-in system as the (default) security code will be completely different. If you want the security code to BE the number on the badge, I think you'd have to get into the check-in workflow to change the way it generates the random code.