Question

Photo of Ted Medler

Nothing Shows in Directory

New install and just got through importing 800+ people and families through excavator.  I can look up people/families and edit them through the Smart Search, but when I go to the "Directory" page, it shows nothing and finds nothing through the search.

Is there a property that I may have missed that needed to be set for each individual during the Excavator import?

• Photo of Michael Garrison

The default for the directory is to show anyone in the "member & attendees" data view. Perhaps your imported records don't have their connection status set so that they meet the filters of that data view? You may need to update that data view if you brought in custom connection statuses, for instance

• Photo of Amber McCoy

Hi Ted, 

Not sure if you've figured this out yet but I had the same problem.  Go to the Directory page then go to the bottom of the page and hover your mouse near the bottom of the screen and a black bar will pop up.  Click on Block Configuration.  Click on the arrow next to the Person Directory, click on the gear.  Make sure "Show all people" is marked to "Yes", it looks like the default is set to "No" for some reason.  From that same screen, you can also change how the names are displayed (family or individual) and what info you want to show.  Hope that helps! 

• Photo of Craig Mashburn

Amber, your post was exactly what I needed!

I have my directory listed by default, but cannot click on an individual to open them. Is that normal or is there a setting to change that?

• Photo of Amber McCoy

Hi Craig, 

It looks like that is normal :( I checked the demo site to see if version 7 is the same and it appears it is.  

You can make the names a link (int he blocks settings), but I cannot figure out how to make the link to go a persons profile.

• Photo of Michael Garrison

This is indeed normal; the intent of this block is that it can be placed on the external site for smaller churches. You don't want members trying to access other peoples' profiles on the internal site... for one, there's way too much private information on their profiles that you don't want public. For another, it's security restricted, so they'd get a security error whenever they clicked on someone (not a good experience, obviously).

If you want a list of everyone for your internal staff use, you might look at setting up a data view, a report, and probably adding an associated Dynamic Report to the page you'd like it on- you should be able to configure this just how you'd like for internal use.

Read through Taking Off with Reporting and I think you'll have lots of options under your belt

Thanks Michael! I have installed a test version on a local server for evaluation. We really do like to be able to scroll through members and click to see their info. Had not thought about member access. Right now, I cannot even figure out HOW to allow member access.

The report you created looks like it would be a good way to create what we want without giving profile access to members. Will have to get to the reporting docs later!

• Michael Garrison

Craig, check out my comment on your previous answer; you actually found the method of using the "Directory" block just like you wanted, you just needed one more tiny bit of information

Yes, I have it working with the info you provided. Quick question, is there no security role setup for members? Was going to mess around with what a member could see and access, but there is no default role for members.

• Michael Garrison

Correct, by default members don't have any security roles (which means they can only see items that "All Users" are permitted to see)

Do you know which documentation deals with member access? My searches have been fruitless.

Thanks Amber. I had already been to that and it really does not discuss how to do member access or even control what members have access to and what they do not.

Sorry to hijack this topic. Perhaps I should start a new one.

• Amber McCoy

What we've allowed is everyone can see their own basic profile that is linked with their giving or registration account. They can request that changes be made but they can't actually change anything.

Our office staff and ministry leaders have access to view profiles, groups, registrations, send e-mails, connections (basically everything except the finance portion). Once someone logs into our website and either gives or registers for an event, they are prompted to either log-in or create an account. Once they have that, they can see limited information that pertains to them (their own family info, groups they are in and other group members, events they've registered for, and their OWN financial information).

Not sure if this helps any. What we had to do was start with what was already there and then disable features that weren't needed. We also have it set up that I am the only one that can edit or add information on people to prevent duplicates or info getting put in wrong.