Question

Photo of Dave Kroiter

One age and one grade area

Hi all,

I'm trying to setup check in with an age based check in (with 2 check in groups in it), and a grade based check in (with another 2 check in groups in it).
I have a header area, with the age area and grade areas under it.
The age groups are 0-2 and 3-5 and the grade groups are K-3 and 4-6.
I have a test child who is in 3rd Grade and 8 years old, and when I try to check her in, it comes up with both the age and grade areas, but she shouldn't be eligible for the age areas (she's older that 5), and so I don't want it to show.
Instead I can select it, and choose any age and it puts her in (and says 0-2 (aged 8).)
Likewise I have a test child who is 1 and it shows the grade options and lets me select a Grade group for him.

Any ideas what I might have done wrong? Or does the system not allow you to restrict using age and Grade? If so, what's the purpose of the Check-in by age/grade option?

Thanks!
Dave.

example.jpg

• Photo of Dave Kroiter

Resolved in 6.7

• Photo of Jim Michael

A couple of things I see wrong (not necessarily all of your issue, but at least start there.) 

1. You appear to be using "sub areas", which is fine, but your setup looks wrong. The top-level Fun City Area really doesn't do much and is just a container for your other areas. It should have Inherit From = Check-in set. And should have Check-in Rule = None. You also don't need any labels set at this top-level area, as again it's really just a container for the other two areas.

2. Your Fun City sub-area Is set to check-in by Grade, so good... but you have Add On Check-in set, which you probably don't want. This literally adds the kids to the group permanently vs. adding them (temporarily) only for the purpose of check-in, which is what setting Check-In rule to none does. Unless you're doing something strange, you don't want to add the kids to the group... it has nothing to do with tracking attendance and such and setting it to none is the norm.

3. You don't have a screen shot of the settings for the Little Treasures area, but if it has the same add on check-in rule set, it should be set to none, too.

Let me know if any of those mods change what you're seeing on your test kid.

• Photo of Jesse McColm

I just ran into this yesterday. You need to go to your check-in configuration and click edit.

Then after clicking edit, go to advanced settings and make sure "age is required" and "grade is required" are checked.

• Photo of Dave Kroiter

Jim: 

The top level is there because there are many areas that will be using this, and I just haven't put them in yet.

The labels were just from me playing around, and I actually do want the add on check-in turned on for our use.

I have tried it with all of these things the way you suggest too and it made no difference.

Jesse:

This made it work for one child, who is in third class, but now anyone without a grade can't check in at all.  So the younger ones who are pre-school don't even show up any more.  Additionally, we have a lot of indigenous children turn up to our programs without caregivers, and many don't know their dates of birth, so I can't have that as a requirement for check-in.  It should work if the information is there, and prompt of it isn't.

Any other ideas?

Thanks! 

• Photo of Dave Kroiter

This problem appears to be a regional issue.  See new post: https://www.rockrms.com/Rock/Ask/Troubleshooting/Questions/1618