Question

Photo of Chris Kiser

Form to capture email addresses

What's the best way to write a form to capture email addresses from people (and first name/last name) and store them in a communication list? I've read the manuals about groups and data views and communication lists having to be synced but am getting quick confused. I can take care of the html, but I didn't know if there was a block already created that I could take advantage of. Thanks for the help!

• Photo of Daniel Hazelbaker

Since a communication list is just a Group (unless I'm mistaken, but I think it is), I recommend the Group Registration block. It can be configured to add them to a specific group so I think you can just direct people to that page.

• Photo of Jim Michael

I agree that simple group register block is the easiest thing to use for this. I would, however, explain that Rock can’t do anything without a “Person”. You can’t just collect names and addresses and they get added to the list (only). Instead, when you use a block (like group register) to collect a name and email, Rock will attempt to find an existing person with that exact name and email to match-to, and if it can’t find anyone, it will CREATE a new person. That can sometimes surprise new Rock orgs as you end up with a lot of duplicate records you need to merge.