Question

Photo of Todd Lear

Workflow Delays

Maybe I'm not understanding how Delays work but if I set a delay on a workflow activity for 5 minutes, it never seems to move past the delay action. I've verified that the workflow processing job is working properly and running every 2 minutes currently. My assumption is that after 5 minutes plus the time for the processing job to run that the next action should then run?

We are wanting to trigger a workflow that does some things and then waits an hour to send an email.

• Photo of Jim Michael

First thing to know about the delay action is that it can never run “faster” than the workflow processing job, which you already seem to understand (though 2min seems a little aggressive vs the default 10min ). 

The second thing that affects delays is the _processing interval_ , which is set within a workflow config under the advanced tab. The default for this is 480 minutes, which is 8 _hours_. This means that if you don’t set/lower that number, it will take a minimum of 8hr plus the workflow job coming around on its schedule to even consider the workflow for “processing”. This is a great feature as it lets you control when a workflow should even be “looked at” by the job, preventing it from touching every active workflow in the system every time it runs. 

All that said, just lower the processing interval in your workflow to something less than an hour. I wouldn’t make it stupid low like 2min, though, otherwise it will be “looked at” every time the job runs, but it doesn’t _need_ to do anything until an hour-ish has passed. 

Hope that makes sense. 

• Photo of Todd Lear

Hey Jim,

Thanks for your quick response! The _processing interval_ was the issue. I didn't realize that setting was there and had set the workflow job to run every minute. It's a sandbox environment. I've set that back to 10 minutes and decreased my processing interval. I'll end up setting it to around 50 minutes I believe.