Question

Photo of Nick June

Database clean-up

Trying to clean up our database. I know there is a job that can be ran to inactivate individuals who have not been active within the last, say 2 years. For example ... if no activity, then change 'Record Status' to inactive.

• no children checked in
  • no monetary giving
  • no event registration
  • any other metric that can be used to monitor 'activity' within the church

On the flip side ... is there any danger of running this and inactivating individuals who really are 'active' in the church?

Thank you !!

• Photo of Jim Michael

The Inactivate People data automation is one of the more risky ones, in the sense that if you don't get it "right", you can unintentionally inactivate many more records than you intended. 

Some rules of thumb are: 

- Use ALL of the available criteria to determine "inactive". A person must meet ALL of the criteria you've enabled to be inactivated, so if you reduce it from the six factors/tests available to just one or two, then many many more records will match that reduced criteria threshold.

- Use the "Not in this dataview" function to prevent special records (like, say, staff or special accounts like the one your check-in kiosks use) from ever being deactivated even if they somehow meet the criteria. You can then make that dataview as extensive as necessary to prevent other people from being inactivated (for example, you could have an org tag you put on any person that should not be inactivated, ever, and make the dataview return people with that tag)

• Photo of Jeremy Hoff

Hi Nick,

What Jim Michael said. :-)

I'll add to your question:

On the flip side ... is there any danger of running this and inactivating individuals who really are 'active' in the church?

Yes, because "active" in the church doesn't necessarily mean "active" in the database. However, Rock can reactivate records without a lot of fuss and will do so automatically in many cases... so while I would recommend caution, the data isn't deleted.....

Hope that helps,