Question

Photo of Hock_Hin Lee

How to remove "Edit Attribute" icon and functionality for a View only User?

I have managed to create a user and role with View only ability. (see https://community.rockrms.com/ask/using/2394 )

However, when logged in as this user, the "Edit Attribute" icon (the blue pencil icon) appears, and when clicked will show the "Save or Cancel" options (even though none of the fields are available for entry/update)

Edit Attributes icon showing 2020-02-19 090142.png

Is there a way to remove the blue pencil icon?

I am currently on version: Rock McKinley 7.6

• Photo of Charlotte Dean

The attributes themselves might be not editable for that role.  However, you probably need to make that block itself view only for that role.  Go to that block's security setting to make that adjustment to see if that would remove the pencil.

• Photo of Hock_Hin Lee

Hi Charlotte,

Thanks for your suggestion.

Added the Read-Only role to the security for the Membership block as shown below.

View only role for Membership block 2020-02-20 170145.png

But no change in the way Rock behaves, i.e.,

1) Can see the blue pencil - edit icon

2) Clicking this edit icon will show the Save / Cancel buttons, but none of the fields/attributes in the membership block are available for edit.

• Photo of Hock_Hin Lee

I have updated Rock to McKinley 9.4 and now the "Order Attirbutes" icon also appears

View only bug Annotation 2020-03-02 114927.png

I think it is a bug.  How do I report this bug?

• Photo of Brad Erb

Hi there,

As I'm looking at the image you shared above, it looks like those blocks may have inherited permissions on the page. If you add an "All Users" group and choose to deny on the editing permissions, you could deny access to edit, but still view, that block.

Just make sure that you have Rock Admins have editing permissions if you're going to do that. :)