Question

Photo of Joe Carroll

Left side menu

This could be related to my Extended Attributes question, but I'll ask a new question.  What controls the sub menu items on the left side of the screen?  When I navigate to a person profile page, none of the menu items on the left side have sub menu items.

• Photo of Danielle Vos

Can you provide a bit more clarity? Are you referring to the icons on the left side that allow you to go to different pages?

• Danielle Vos

The icons on the left will appear or not based on the person's security roles in Rock (i.e. the money icon for finances will only appear for those with the finance security roles or the Admin security role).

• Joe Carroll

Thanks Danielle. So as admin, when I search for a person and navigate to their profile and I hover over the single person icon on the left, there's nothing in the "submenu" that pops up. Out of the box, what should appear in this situation.

If I go back to the home page and hover over the single person icon, I can see a submenu that includes things like "Directory", "New Family", "Group Viewer", etc.

• Danielle Vos

I'm honestly not entirely sure what is causing this. Those icons appear/disappear based on the logged in user's security roles and those should remain the same no matter what profiles you are viewing.

• Jim Michael

Is this a new Rock server? If so, I'd consider punting and re-installing from scratch. Based on this problem and the other Extended Attributes one, someone has really "played around" with your server and messed up some important settings.

If this is a mature, production instance, then of course it's worth trying to figure out where the problem is, but if you're just starting out, it will be much easier to just start over, I think. If you fix this... then who knows what ELSE is messed up, and it you could just be chasing your tail for a long time.

• Joe Carroll

This is Production, so I'll need to keep digging. I thought I had a moment of brilliance this morning, so I headed over to the demo sight to compare it to our environment. That didn't help since the icons on the demo sight do not change as you go from the initial home screen to the Person Profile.

Let me keep poking around until I have enough knowledge to ask a better question.

Thanks

• Jim Michael

Did you by-chance change the layout (or modify it) on the profile page? It needs to be "PersonDetail" layout. If you're using that layout, but modified it in some way, try undoing those changes.

• Joe Carroll

I think that I was too focused on the Person Page. This oddity is occurring all over the place. With the exception of the Home page, whenever I change pages, the icons on the left change to match the current child pages.

I'll add an image in the Answer section.

• Photo of Joe Carroll