Question

Photo of Tim Deese

Internal Rock Theme messed up

This appears to be a growing 'theme'... I've seen very similar questions posed several times now, but no real root cause or 'fix' listed (I don't consider "I logged out and back in the next day and it was working" a root cause or fix).

I had been in the internal Rock console and it was fine. I then spent maybe 15 minutes working on the External Website and making some changes. When I attempted to change the site logo in the header I got a 'Something went wrong' kind of error (the logs show "Access to the path 'C:\inetpub\wwwroot\rock\Content\ExternalSite\July-2013-White-Logo-Flat.png' is denied.").

When I went back to the internal portal to investigate further the theme had changed and I can't navigate to any child pages. I was able to confirm that it appears to only be my user that's experiencing this... other users can login and see the normal internal theme.

Troubleshooting I've done:

• Logged out, logged back in
  • Logged out, closed browser completely (all tabs), re-opened and logged back in
  • Cleared cache (both through a Shift+reload and manually via browser settings)
  • Waited (initially happened almost 12 hours ago)

I'm relatively new to Rock, but have been doing application and web development for many years and this seems very much like a bug. Is there someone from the Rock team that would be willing to investigate further?

My next course of action is to have one of my teammates change my access level to a regular user and then back to an Admin and/or remove/re-add my user account altogether. However, I don't really want to do that until someone with development-level knowledge of the application gets a chance to do a root cause analysis.

UPDATE: We've made the neccessary permissions changes to allow an image upload to the directory that was throwing the error before. I uploaded the new logo to confirm it was working (and it did), but it didn't fix the internal site theme issue.

• Photo of David Leigh

Tim,

Have you tried restarting the Rock application?

Rock uses global caching to improve performance, and it's possible that some configuration info in the cache has become corrupted.
    This could explain why these kind of problems seem to resolve themselves after a period of time - it may be fixed by an application restart that clears the global cache.

• Photo of Tim Deese

Like other posters have noted, the original issue 'auto-resolved' about 24-hours later. It has since happened a couple more times, with the same auto-resolve within the next 24 hours. Definately an issue that needs to be addressed and highly annoying, but I've modified the theme that it defaults to when it fails so I can at least navigate my administrative console when it happens.

• Photo of Jay Greentree

This kind of sounds like it might be related to IIS directory permissions for the Rock folder. Are you using some type of control panel for the rock site?

• Photo of Cyndi Thompson

I'm running version 4.1 and am still seeing this issue. The site works fine for editing for a bit, but eventually the admin site, which I have set to use the Rock theme, starts using the theme for the external site, rendering it unusable. Restarting the site fixes the issue.