Question

Photo of DJ Grick

Runtime Error but no recent updates

I just got back from vacation (two hours ago) and had an e-mail from our pastor stating Rock is down. We are getting a Runtime Error. Switching to remove the custom error page doesn't help. We are just told the resource is unavailable.

The exemption Log file has this on repeat for about 2 days (database name removed)

4/10/2017 10:13:45 PM,System.Exception,"Error occurred during application startup"

4/10/2017 10:13:45 PM,System.Data.DataException,"An exception occurred while initializing the database. See the InnerException for details."

4/10/2017 10:13:45 PM,System.Data.Entity.Core.EntityException,"The underlying provider failed on Open."

4/10/2017 10:13:45 PM,System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException,"Cannot open database "DatabaseName" requested by the login. The login failed. Login failed for user 'user'."

If i scroll back far enough it changes to: 

4/8/2017 1:00:45 PM,System.Data.Entity.Core.EntityException,"The underlying provider failed on Open."

4/8/2017 1:00:45 PM,System.Data.Entity.Core.EntityException,"An exception has been raised that is likely due to a transient failure. If you are connecting to a SQL Azure database consider using SqlAzureExecutionStrategy."

4/8/2017 1:00:45 PM,System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException,"A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the pre-login handshake. (provider: Shared Memory Provider, error: 0 - No process is on the other end of the pipe.)"

4/8/2017 1:00:45 PM,System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception,"No process is on the other end of the pipe" 4/8/2017 1:05:36 PM,System.Exception,"Error occurred during application startup"

Rock has not been recently updated and neither was the server. We also have another instance of Rock Running on the same server fine. 

I should note that I was not able to RDP into the vpn at first  until I went into 3Essentials Vpanel to restart the server. 

Any suggestions would be awesome! 

• Photo of DJ Grick

I am not sure what actually went wrong but I created an new site in iis manager and copied over all the files to that site (with the intention of restoring a BD Backup). Out of curiosity I pointed the new site's Web.ConnectionString file to my current DB as a test it worked.

I went through every setting I could think of between the two sites and applications pools but never figured it out.

I changed the old site to use the new app pool and the error change to  "oops...that wasn't suppose to happen...."  implying we are closer to working...but I couldn't get it that last step to running. The weird thing is both sites app pools have identical settings. 

Although it being up will make our staff happy I would still like to know what went wrong so we don't keep repeating it. :-/