Question

Photo of John Hwang

Error Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

We did a series of upgrades from version 11 to the latest version (12.7 I believe).

Oddly, the Data Views, Reports and Metrics page stopped working showing the following error message: "Error Object reference not set to an instance of an object." instead of the category block. 

Any ideas on how to fix this? Is it a "Page Parameter Key" issue?

Screen_Shot_2021-12-18_at_11.22.06_PM.png

• DJ Grick

Did you ever find an answer to this? I'm experiencing the same now. I'm also receiving it on any group tree.

• Photo of Ben Murphy

It's really hard to see anything in the screenshot that is only the size of a thumbnail. But you can always try to remove and rebuild those pages with the right blocks and settings based on the base at: https://rocksolidchurchdemo.com

• Photo of DJ Grick

I just had the same issue and wanted to loop back and let you know how I solved it (Well 2 days after it started). 

I navigated to Admin Tools>System Settings>Exception List and found the exception ( (System.NullReferenceException) Object reference not set...)

Reviewing the problem i saw that the issue was with file "C:\Source\Repos\Rock12\Rock.Rest\Filters\SecuredAttribute.cs:line 75" 

I then looked at Github and found this file there to review the code. I noticed that line 75 had to do with Pin Authentication. At first I assumed I found a bug that assumed Bema's Single Sign-on plugin was acting as a pin so I disabled that, restarted rock, and logged out and back in...nothing. I then realized I disabled Pin Authentication so I turned it back on...problem solved. 

Hope this helps you also (or the next person who chooses to disable pin authentication). 

• Photo of John Hwang

Thanks to DJ's post, I was able to fix this by enabling the Pin Authentication Service found under Admin Tools > Security > Authentication Services.  Now the filters block is showing properly. Not sure why this is required to be turned on. The error returns when I turn of Pin Authenication.