Question

Photo of Knolly Shadrache

How to check-in event registrants only?

Lets say we have event registration groups to capture people who book to attend an event.

To capture their actual event attendance, we'd like to use check-in instead of the group attendance check-boxes.

My question:

Is there a way to configure a check-in area to allow/deny (or add?) check-in based on a person having previously registered for event(s) of our choosing?

If there is a way, has anyone managed to do it that could show me please?

Many thanks

• Photo of Jim Michael

Yes, this is totally doable. I answered a similar question a while back here https://community.rockrms.com/ask/using/1478  The gist is that you'll want to create a new "check-in config" that shows up under Admin | Check-in | Check-in config (you do NOT want to try and use your existing Weekly Service check-in config for this). Then you create a new group type that hold groups for event registrants. 

This kind of config can be difficult to describe via this Q&A and the non-real-time aspect of it. If you still can't get it working, please ask in https://community.rockrms.com/chat where someone will be able to help you.

• Knolly Shadrache

WOW!! this is hidden treasure!! I've been puzzling over this one for ages...

I had no idea that simply setting the Group Purpose in a group type to 'Check-in Template' would create a new Check-in area..

I also had no idea that activating check-in for a group was simply a matter of adding its type to the list of allowed Child Group types on the new check-in area group type.

So is there any reason stopping me doing this for existing groups except if they have previous attendance, there would be no schedule against those attendances..?

• Jim Michael

I don't THINK you'd have any problem enabling an existing group type, but since we started from day one with "Class/Event Registration" group type made specifically for our class/event registrations, I'm not 100% sure ;-)

• Knolly Shadrache

OK - all seems to be working perfectly for us.

The free group type changer won the day for us, so now we have check-in for all group types we need it for and can now use Attendance Analytics!!

Loving it

• Jim Michael

Great! If you could mark this question as answered that will help others seeing it in the future. Thanks!

• Knolly Shadrache

BTW - Final action to fully answer my q was to set the check-in rule for my new check-in group to 'must belong to', so only existing group members can check in.

Thanks for all your help